Thursday, January 07, 2010

Homemade pizza!



Today I decided to undertake what I believe to be my first-ever pizza dough recipe. Yes, really. I usually use pre-made crusts or interesting breads as the base for my pizza toppings, only once making a focaccia from scratch and being displeased with the final result (too tough). This time, I adapted the recipe from Wolfgang Puck which Chef John posted on his website. Instead of using a full 3 cups of all-purpose flour, I substituted in 1/2 cup of organic whole wheat bread flour, then made up the remaining 2-1/2 cups of flour in organic, unbleached all-purpose flour. I also used sea salt, not kosher salt.

Once the dough was ready (with 3 portions left in the fridge for future pizza-making endeavours!), I followed with my standard pizza bread toppings: fresh mushrooms, tomatoes and crumbled bacon.

For the record, Chef John's assessment of the dough is correct. It's got a nice chewy tenderness. I'm definitely looking forward to using up the rest of it!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At Fri Jan 08, 10:29:00 am GMT-5, Blogger Unknown said...

You had me at bacon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home